Top 5 Items for an event? What kind of event? What kind of items? Let Me Explain..
For the first time in 12 or 13 years I attended a political fundraising event this past week. No this is not a political advertisement but I won’t be upset if you lived in the 12th district in Ohio and voted for John Russell….. Lets go beyond the Obligatory Cheese Tray, cheese is good and we all know how to make one( ohhhhh this gives me an idea for another post) This is about whats around the cheese tray. An event can be a political fundraiser or any other number of things. Birthdays, holidays, retirements, weddings, funerals those are just a few I have attended since the first of the year.
What makes an Event
I think an event is a gathering of one or more people doing something they either love or are obligated to do. They may have passion for an event(like raising funds for a candidate) or maybe the event is a societal norm and you must attend(funeral, wedding, graduation). Lastly there is the flat-out party if you need an excuse it could be the Super Bowl or Ground Hogs Day. Either way we are the event thrower or the events attendant.
Just a day ago I had my own little one person event. I sat down and watched the 122nd running of the Boston Marathon. To me it was important to others I am sure it was ridiculous and silly. Either way it was an event. I had food and drink and a comfortable place to sit.
What do you think of when you think event
I usually think food first then who will be there and how many people will attend. If I am hosting the event I have to plan a menu and figure a drink. If I am attending I think about a hostess gift(yes if it is a small affair you should bring a hostess gift).
What will I wear much to the chagrin of both my mother and my personal stylist(yes I have one don’t judge) she is a friend that tells me what looks good and what doesn’t and she sells clothes so that helps. I often choose jeans and t-shirts, that’s the exasperation part because I choose comfort over everything else.
If I am not the hostess I sit back and wait for event day where I get to consume said food and beverages. If I am the hostess with the mostess I will use at least one if not all of these 5 items for the event.
Events are not easy these 5 items for an event will help You
Many people do not like to dive into event hosting so they hire a caterer or buy pre-made food. You can even hire a party planner(they are not just for weddings) who will take care of the event for you, from the food to the decorations and everything in between. I Personally let Martha Stewart do all my parties. Yes I can afford her and so can you.
- Entertaining by Martha Stewart[amazon_link asins=’0517544199′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’trippingvittl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2c478d70-430e-11e8-a7ef-05bedf5f8b0e’] This book is still to this day the definitive book on entertaining by my thoughts, there are so many tips you can read it over and over and discover new with each read. . It came out in 1982 and there is nothing in this book that still does not apply to entertaining. I refer to it often and I would be lost without it. I do not have the money to hire a lawyer(Martha Stewart is a mega brand now) if I were to publish a recipe from this book but I will tell you my goto and the page it is on. Tarragon Chicken Salad page 59, I make this even when I am not entertaining. Get the Rotisserie Chicken already pulled in a bag at Costco and life is easy and tasty. This is great for spring and summer picnics. I use Croissants as my delivery vehicle.
Depending on the size of your gathering you may want to make a Large Batch Cocktail or if it is a small affair have a great bar set up. Either way you will need some basic items to make life easy. I have written in the past about Homemade Sweet & Sour Mix and Simple Syrup and how they are compliments to cocktail making.
- Todays second Item on the list is a large dispenser. It is great for all types of parties. You can make anything from Big Batch Margaritas to Kool-Aid. It looks good and keeps things from getting messy. [amazon_link asins=’B071V78TCS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’trippingvittl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=”]
- The third Item is a cocktail set. You can go out and buy all the items for a cocktail set separately but why? when there are good cocktail sets out there. Now you say Vittles are you Trippin I have seen you suggest items for the bar on here before. You sir or madam would be correct. There are some items that just don’t come in a set or an item you may want more than one of.. but in general a good cocktail set will always get you started on the right path for home bartending. [amazon_link asins=’B077SSP7T3′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’trippingvittl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fb7a38d8-4317-11e8-bbaf-576e6bf58184′] I choose this one because it is nice and has what you need but it could also make a really nice gift.
Is your Event Esthetically Pleasing?
We have all been to a party or event that has been less than stellar….I will tell you mine if you tell me yours! When I was at that political fundraiser it got me thinking about all of this. I thought it was cute they had a few red white and blue decorations on the buffet that looked like fireworks and the rooms lighting was not harsh. There were signs hung so you knew what the event was for.
- There are so many fun and exciting ways to decorate for your event that I could not possibly include them all here. I think one of the easiest and fun ways to decorate especially for outdoor picnics are tablecloths. Since spring and summer theoretically are due to arrive very soon if it will stop snowing I have a link to oil cloth that you can buy by the yard and get all kinds of fun colors and themes. It is easy clean up and if you take care with it you will be able to use it over and over.[amazon_link asins=’B003D7V3OE’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’trippingvittl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’faa8cd25-4319-11e8-aba4-01aed4f1b192′]
Lastly Lets get Serious!
Do not ever underestimate the power of the Red Solo Cup to make a party into a Bash!
- I think this is self-explanatory. Red solo cups Bring the fun! Scroll !! [amazon_link asins=’B076B5751H,B00BM9HFHE,B009DL5S3G,B073VQV8ZG,B00YVFL4PA’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’trippingvittl-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’97c8bb81-431c-11e8-acea-5b4f0e026b62′]