A tart citrus elixer from Martha Sloat circa 1936
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- Juice of 3 Lemons (1/2 cup)
- 2 Fresh Eggs
- 6 heaping baby spoonfuls of granulated sugar (yes that is the spoon you feed a baby with)
- Put in blender, fill with ice that has been cracked
- Blend- 6 servings
- please note the above is the 1936 directions below are the directions on how I made today using the same ingredients
- Using the largest ninja blender cup fill with ice add ingredients (you may use a large household blender but only fill halfway with ice)
- Blend- using juice glasses it makes 4 servings……please remember that they served much smaller portions in 1936 than we do now days.
This is very tart it is not the sweet lemonade we are used to today. It also paired very well with a shot of Rum so feel free to add a shot of your favorite booze that goes well with citrus.. Tequila, Flavored Vodka… You be the judge and have fun.
This is a link to the hand held citrus juicer I am always using. I cannot survive with out this item you can get yours here Handheld Citrus Juicer
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: Drinks